Sunday, October 23, 2011

22 Days... but who's counting?!

ME, that's who!!


I will be 36 weeks in 22 days, therefore, I will be able to stop laying around all day, reading books. and watching terrible television :)

It just occurred to me that this is 3 weeks away!!! I have done nothing to prepare, other than my sister coming to wash all of the baby boy clothes that she brought me, which, by the way, have filled his dresser already! Did I also mention that Craig had a blast at BabyGap a few weeks ago and bought a huge bag of clothes for this little guy. He will not be lacking in the clothing department, however, he WILL be lacking his basic needs if I don't get my bottom off the couch and prepare for his arrival, ha! I could be snuggling a little miracle in 3 weeks, that is so exciting!!!

Today I am packing my hospital bag, just in case I need it over the next few weeks. I have never packed a hospital bag before. It's a very strange feeling to pack in anticipation of labor. Normally, we go into labor first, then when things settle down, I send Craig home to bring me some things. So, I started researching online things to bring to the hospital. Well, it is crazy the things people will list as "needed" for labor. IF you brought these things, I am totally NOT picking on you, I promise. I have never had the time to even consider bringing the following items, so to me, and maybe only to me, it sounds so funny!

Music, for the baby to enter the world peacefully. Please tell me what would ever make the way a new baby enters the world peaceful. I am so glad they have no memory of that moment! Certainly music is NOT the magic behind a peaceful entry. I am pretty certain it is the voice of and touch of their mommy's and daddy's that bring the first feelings of comfort, but, what do I know. It's only my 5th child, ha!

A SIGNED birthplan. Never had time to think of this one folks. Birth plan shmirth plan. My labors were all too fast, and too crazy to consider telling any physician or nurse that I knew better than them. I let them tell me what to do and it worked great in my situations. When you sign something, its concrete, so IF there is an emergency (which there always is with me), then you deal with feelings of failure for not following through on YOUR plan. Trust me, God's plan always trumps our plans anyway :)

A labor reference book, to refer to while in labor. Really?! When you are trying to breathe through the most painful pain you may ever feel, the last thing on your mind is "Honey, grab the book, tell me what to do next!!" Hahahaha, this one just makes me laugh out loud!!

Massage Tools. I have only a few words and most women that have had a baby get this statement: "DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Your own towels and washcloths. Pack light ladies, hopeful you won't live there like I had too...

Swim trunks for spouse. I didn't see a pool at any of the 4 hospitals we have delivered in, but times are changing, maybe we will deliver at the Renaissance and go for a swim after! Why didn't it mention a swimsuit for me? Oh, I will be naked in a pool delivering a baby. Nope, not for me...

Focal Point. Your hubby, Nuff said. He won't take up any room in your hospital bag and you can place him wherever you want, even outside if needed, ha!

Okay, I am done making fun. There were more, but I am feeling I may have crossed the line. I am just a simple girl. I just want to get to the hospital, have a baby and snuggle that baby forever. Here are the things in MY hospital bag. Since I have taken the liberty of poking fun at the world's hospital bag, here is your turn to "roast" my bag, ha!! If you have any suggestions, other than those listed above, please feel free to help me out here :)

ChapStick. Hospitals are dry, I have always needed chapstick and had to run to the gift shop and pay double.
Slippers. Floors are gross. Nuf said.
Nursing Bra. I will be nursing, therefore I NEED a nursing bra.
Underwear. Must I really explain the need for this one?
Outfit to come home in. Most likely it will be the outfit I arrived in, I have no plans of losing 40 pounds in the hospital.
Change of clothes. Comfy outfit to wear when all my visitors come. YOU are my visitors :)
Hard Candy. I remember being cut off from food, so suckers worked great! Also, I have 4 kids to occupy after this baby comes. Candy will help.
Chewing Gum. Craig will appreciate this one...
Toiletries. Gotta shower
Camera. Gotta capture the memories
iPhone 4S. Gotta text, call or Skype the world and announce the birth!
Outfit for Isaac to wear home. He is wearing his cousin James' coming home outfit, soo cute!
Blanket for Isaac. It will be cold in November/December, because he will be full term!
Car Seat. It's the law!

We cannot wait to meet this precious boy and he WILL be spoiled by not only me, but his daddy, brother and 3 sisters. He has no clue the love that is about to surround him :)

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh i love you and i miss you and you are so cute and i can NOT wait to snuggle my little sully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so with you on all that "necessary" things people feel they need to bring. i had a friend actually pack a candle for the birthing room...as if that was going to help =) and i totally understand how it feels weird to actually prepare for a birth! i had my bag packed for weeks before zoe came, ha!

    so glad you have made it to this point...God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, I am so glad you were able to enjoy packing your bag, and laughing at all the 'necessary' items to {not} pack. Im looking forward to that bag sitting in your bedroom for a few more weeks, but I am glad you have it packed. Can't WAIT to snuggle that full-term baby Sully!! So excited for you! God is indeed awesome!

    ReplyDelete