Monday, November 7, 2011

Perspective can be such a B...

Blessing! Really, did you really thing I would go there?! At least I got you to open this blog post, ha!

Today is my first day off official bedrest, I am 35 weeks and in the clear. Craig headed back to work and I am back to my duties as a mom and homemaker. One problem, I have somehow forgotten how to be a mom with order, peace, patience, and a happy heart. I have forgotten how to take the kids to the grocery store and have the girls sit in the cart without fighting and trying to get down. Ohhhhh, I have been a very grouchy, very mean mommy today. So I started to write this blog about how tough my day has been, how it is so hard to go from bedrest to no rest. Then, I got an email from one of my most treasured friends and what she had to say brought me to my knees, literally. I was in tears for her, in tears over my poor attitude. So, I thought I would share her story. I know she won't mind because IF you read this, you MUST pray for her family IMMEDIATELY, and I know she will covet your prayers :)

Josh & Tasha Via, our dear friends, are in Uganda. They have been in Uganda since September 26 wrapping up a year long process of adopting their precious little Ugandan daughter, Alethia Grace. The plan was to fly over a week before their court date of October 5 in order to bond with their new daughter before they were granted the adoption. Did I mention that they also flew over to Uganda with their 3 children; Areyna (6), Zeke (5), Cai (2), and Tasha is pregnant and was 20 weeks pregnant when they left! They appeared at their first court appointment only to wait from 10am until 5pm and find out the judge was not even there! So, they had to wait to be issued another court date. Fortunately they were issued one pretty quickly, but the date was over 3 weeks later than the first court date. Already, they are 4 weeks into what is supposed to be a 6 week process and nothing accomplished. Over the 3 weeks of waiting, they have held on strong. Teaching the kids the culture, learning the Uganda way, and bonding with their new little girl. They were thrilled to find out that Josh's mom and sister got on a plane to support them for a few weeks. Can you imagine feeling so drained and then your mom and sister show up to help, ugh, it makes me cry just to think of it! So, October 28 came up and they appeared in court and yes, the judge was there, yippee!! The story of their day of court is amazing, a true miracle and gift from the Lord. They were granted the adoption, from a Muslim judge, a judge that was not a fan of Christ followers in his country. Tasha was a rock start that day and the Lord used her words to soften the heart of this judge, praise the Lord! The next step is the next court date, which is typically a week later. All they need at this court date is a paper with a signature from the judge allowing the adoption so they can then take all the papers to the Embassy and get this family back home. Sounds so simple, right?! It looked like it was simple too because they got word that the letter was typed and waiting for the judge's signature. So, they drove a few hours, lost the suitcase that contained EVERYTHING in it, pulled over only to recover it just in time from a man who was attempting to load it into his car, only to find out that no, the judge didn't show up to court again. Day after day, which leads us to today. Today Tasha went to court for that paper that just needed a signature. Yes, the judge was there, yes! So she waits and waits, hours, only to find out that they had lied. The paper was not typed up therefor the judge had nothing to sign...
The Via's are currently in week 7, they should be flying home today on a plane, with their whole new family. Instead, they are still waiting for a signature and then to go and wait on the Embassy to decide when they will complete their paperwork. Today they had to reschedule their flight home from November 7th to November 20th. Please pray that there is not one more hold up and that they will be able to fly home on this date, together, as a family...

I tell their short story to explain my perspective shift. I was so grouchy over a few stressful hours of disobedience, tears from my toddlers, and an occasional hitting problem. My friend has been in Uganda, dealing with touch & go electricity, handwashing clothes for their family of 6, taking cold showers with critters watching her, praying she doesn't get Malaria, and doing a great job keeping her 4 kids content in a 3rd world country. Not to mention the emotional roller coaster her family has been put through hanging onto every positive word they can as they wait on the Ugandan courts to grant this adoption. All of this has yes been very tough for them, and she has been VERY honest about her feelings, and yet her faith in the Lord to get her through this is unshakable! I hope she comes home and writes a book! (hint hint, Tasha!)

Here is a quick recap of her stressful day today...

"I should have started bawling right then and there, but the tears never came.  Only peace and reassurance that can only come from God.  It was kind of surreal.  I’d been talking to Farouk, our agency contact over here in Uganda, and he has such wisdom and encouragement.  He is sympathetic while still be realistic in a way that no one else has been able to be.  He just looked at me, clearly saddened by our circumstances, but hopeful that Thursday was the day and that we would be able to submit everything to the Embassy on Friday.  Then he told me that everything happens for a reason and we just have to be patient, reminding me that at least we knew that we had a favorable ruling and that is the hardest part!
So, although I miss carpet under my feet, paved roads without all the pot holes, ice, a predictable schedule, no fear of Malaria, good toilet paper, my sweet Micaiah, my spacious house, friends and family, and the list goes on and on, I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lord is at work, and we are in His favor and He kept our documents safe, and the boda driver alive, and He is watching over our son, as well as perfectly mapping out the signing of our ruling, as well as the remainder of our journey here.  I know that because He promises to watch over His children and He promises not to give us more than we can handle.  I clearly just need a little more refining in the patience department;)" - Tasha Via

(Side note: Please click on the link with their name and read their entire journey, its amazing! It is password protected and the password is TRUTH)

You see, I have electricity, I have running water, an abundance of food, clothing, a car, internet, electricity that doesn't fail. I have everything I need and yet I allow my kids grouchy hearts to ruin my day and make me unaware of all of our blessings, our health, our comforts. If I could only keep an eternal perspective in the heat of any moment, maybe my kids wouldn't struggle so much with obedience, kindness, anger, and yelling. If only they saw mommy being obedient to the Lord, they would understand what complete obedience is, how to surrender every thought and action to the Lord and allow Him to redeem it. 


You see, perspective can be such a B, can't it!

4 comments:

  1. i had the same reaction when reading tasha's post...man, i wish perspective was easier to get!

    p.s. i am so exited that you made it to 35 weeks!!! as one who has now experienced a "full term" baby after 2 preemies...it is SO AWESOME!! and i know you are going to love it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I love you!!!
    You are too kind...you are a GREAT mommy and you are going through your own transition. Coming off of bed rest isn't easy! Your happy heart (and your kids happy hearts) will come:)
    You are doing GREAT!
    But, you have to take a long hot shower for me today, k:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen!! I love that you got your chunky monkey and looks like the Lord is blessing us with one too!

    Tasha! I JUST got out of a hot shower and read this, ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding us all that perspective is everything....and even when we feel like its the "worst day ever," someone else is having a harder day than us!

    ReplyDelete